Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Fort Nakhal and Nakhal Springs

This blog post is a little out of order, chronologically.  It is about the last day of my friend's, Theresa's, visit to Oman.  I am still waiting on some pictures to blog about her whole visit, but I will concentrate on Nakhal for now.  It has been extremely rainy in Muscat for the last couple of weeks.  This was the only really sunny day of her time here.  It was a beautiful morning to show her a little bit more of Oman, beyond Muscat.  Joe was golfing in Dubai and Savannah was uninterested, but I was very glad Austin came along with us.  I enticed him with the promise of guns.
 

Nakhal Fort is about an hour from Muscat.  All my directions said to turn at the roundabout in Barka.  They are now turning that roundabout into an intersection, so don't be confused.  You will need to actually pass the 'roundabout' and make a U-turn to get on your way.  It is a very nice drive.
 

 The front door to the fort.  It will cost you 500 Baizas (or $1.30) to enter.

 
This door was further inside.  Not very welcoming!
 

Some good information about the fort
 

 
We had a great time walking around, climbing all the stairs and exploring all the nooks and crannies.
We got there about 10:30 in the morning and practically had the place to ourselves.
 

 
Austin got a little annoyed with me.  I couldn't seem to walk more than a few steps without taking a picture.  I couldn't help myself!  It was a beautiful setting!
 

 
I think Austin is part goat.  He can't resist a climb.
 

 
The view out the window overlooking the date plantations
 



 
I should start a collection of photos of doors my son does not fit under!  :)
 


 
Like I have said before, I can't explain my children.
 

 
This was the men's meeting room.  Much larger and brighter than the women's, I might add.
 

 
This is the real reason Austin agreed to come.  I don't know if he was supposed to hold the rifles, but they were just hanging there.
 



 
After spending more than an hour exploring the fort, we went on to the Nakhal springs (or Ain A'Thowarah).  The guard at the front desk of the fort gave us directions.  He pointed at a bus and said turn at the street by the bus.  He did also tell us what sign to look for, which was helpful.

 
This is a popular picnic area.  There were quite a few Omani families enjoying the springs.
 

 
These are supposed to be hot springs, but didn't feel too warm to us.  Maybe we were in the wrong spot.  It made for fun wading, although a bit slippery.
 




 Enjoyment of the springs is not limited to humans!  :)  This trip to Nakhal Fort and the springs was a great way to spend the morning.  We brought our lunch, though we ate it in the car.  If you want to picnic along the springs, bring a blanket.  I have to say, this was my first time to drive outside of Muscat and I was very proud of myself.  I made it to the fort, the springs, and back home again!



1 comment: