Saturday, November 16, 2013

United States Marine Corps 238th Birthday Ball

Every year, the United States Marine Corps celebrates its birthday with a ball.  As I understand, every country that has a US embassy protected by US marines holds a ball.  This is my first time to attend the Marine Ball.  I was very happy to show my support for our military!  My attendance had nothing at all to do with the fact that I love to dance.  :)


I was asked by a good friend to make a Texas flag bow tie.  I said, sure!  I dusted off my sewing machine and made one for him and for Joe.





The bow tie was quite a conversation starter.  It was amazing to meet the number of people from Texas or who had lived in Texas.



Our daughter, Savannah, was taking our pictures.  She said she felt like a mom on prom night.  :)



At our table.  Funny story.  We thought we were sitting at table 25, like our tickets said.  When we looked at the seating chart, we didn't see our names at table 25, but honestly didn't worry about it.  Our friend Ross noticed our names at the table with the US ambassador, the guest of honor!  We had no idea.



On the left is the Ambassador of the United States of America to the Sultanate of Oman, Greta Holtz.



I loved hearing the 'Stars Spangled Banner'.  I can't tell you the last time I heard our national anthem.

 

Here are the marines, rolling in the birthday cake.  By tradition, the first bite of cake is eaten by the oldest marine present and the plate is then handed to the youngest marine present.



 Here we are with Ambassador Holtz.  She is fluent in Arabic, Turkish, and French, and has served in US missions in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Tunisia, Syria, and Turkey.  Her list of other credentials is too long to list fully.  Let's just say, we are fortunate to have her in Oman.  Joe has had several dealings with the ambassador over the last year.  She is a huge supporter of American business in Oman.


It is very common for Omani ladies to have their arms, hands, and feet hennaed for a special occasion.  Several of the (American) ladies at the ball had had their arms decorated.  Such beautiful designs!




Ross and Joe


Look what was next to the dessert table.



After an hour of cocktails, an hour of ceremonies, and an hour for dinner, the dancing finally began!  This was a rare moment where the dance floor wasn't packed, as it was most of the night.  And no matter the age, we dance like 7th-graders-- men optional!

It was a wonderful ball.  It made me extra grateful for all our brave military men and women!






2 comments:

  1. I love the bow ties! I altered my dress by hand, since my machine died in Oman and I haven't replaced it. Cutting into a new dress was a painful first experience, but it turned out fine. You look spectacular :-) We didn't dance. The DJ came with the venue and he didn't know you have to play 'I Got Friends on Low Places.'

    ReplyDelete