Monday, November 25, 2013

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia!

For the past year, all my trips have taken me west.  Last week, I went east, to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia!  It was a six hour direct flight from Muscat.  I love direct flights!



I really need to brush up on my world geography.  I wasn't sure where Malaysia was.  This map is a little small, but it gives you an idea of Malaysia's location, close to the equator.


Joe and I stayed at the Shangri La Hotel.  I just love their resort in Muscat and this hotel did not disappoint.  Actually, I just tagged along on Joe's business meeting.  This was not one of our normal cram-as-much-as-you-can-see-in-four-days vacation.  Much more relaxed.


The view of KL from the 21st floor of the hotel.



It is very interesting to see what one finds on breakfast buffets around the world.  One of my favorite foreign breakfast buffet staple is Nutella!  :)  In Oman, you can find hummus and other Arabic food, along with baked beans and mushrooms for the British.  In Malaysia, there is Chinese food!  And sushi.  For breakfast.  Really.  :)


I went for a walk while Joe was still at meetings (after my massage.)  I have to say, I really enjoyed seeing the Christmas trees and Christmas decorations!  But don't let the Christmas decorations fool you.  The temperatures were in the low 90's, with plenty of humidity.


It was a short walk to the Petronas Twin Towers.  These towers were the tallest buildings in the world, for about five years.  I think they are currently #6.


This is not the best picture, as I was too close.  You can see the Skybridge connecting the two towers.


Retail therapy at the mall at the base of the towers.  I did hear my first Christmas music of the year.  It sounded great!  So, Malaysia and Oman are both Muslim, but you won't hear Christmas music in Oman (except for the Christmas section of Sultan Center.)


Ducks (or maybe chickens) in the food court.


I just LOVE the dancing fountains at the Dubai Mall and The Bellagio in Las Vegas.  KL has its own version, on a smaller scale.


The next day, we went up the Petronas towers, to the skybridge on the 41st floor.


Views of KL


Here is a model of the twin towers


After the Skybridge, we went up to the 86th floor.  A cool picture of the other tower.



Good thing I am not afraid of heights!



The dancing fountains way down there.




And later, up close.


Here we are, waiting at a crosswalk, on our way back to the hotel.  There are lots and lots of these motorcycles on the highways and roads in KL.  They weave in and out of traffic, and are quite dangerous.


Malaysia is officially a Muslim country.  Here is a mosque, but they are not near as prevalent as they are in Oman.


A beautiful sunset on our way back to the airport.  It was a very interesting few days in Malaysia.  Lots more to see and do.  Next time!


































2 comments: