Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Batu Caves-- Kuala Lumpur!

So, where did we go for spring break this year?  Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.  You may have heard of it. On Sunday, we went to see the Batu Caves.  I actually wanted to visit here last time I was in KL, but we didn't make it.  It was a great trip and I am so glad we went!

The caves are located 13 km north of KL.  Our friend, Tony, rented a car and bravely drove us to the caves.  I say bravely, because of the picture below.  That is Austin on the left.  And no, he is not driving.  The steering wheel is on the right!  Malaysians drive on the 'wrong' side of the road.


As we near the caves, we see these beautiful flower necklaces for sale.  Lots of them.


These necklaces are used in worshiping the Hindu gods.


The caves are in these limestone cliffs.





There is a large statue of Lord Murugan in the main entrance to the caves.  The statue stands 140 feet high.


Necklaces close up



272 steps to the entrance of the cave.  No need for stair master!




I blogged about Savannah's trip to Nepal and the holy monkeys.  These are no holy monkeys.  Everything I read about the Batu Caves warned you about these monkeys.  They may look cute, but they can bite and they will certainly steal any food they can.  I saw one take a tupperware container of fruit out of a backpack!!  The container was almost as big as it was.  A nice guy retrieved the fruit and returned it to the grateful mom.  I also saw a monkey with a bottle of Mountain Dew.




We saw these monkeys eating all sorts of food, such as oreos.  But this one was eating one of the flower necklaces.




The caves were amazing.  Huge!!  There was another set of caves with a guided tour.  I know I will be back, so we saved the tour for next time.






The Batu Caves is the focal point of the Hindu festival Thaipusam, held in late Januray.  In past years, the festival has attracted up to a million pilgrims.  Several articles I have read suggested visiting during this time.  A million people?  I don't think so!


The back of Lord Murugan


Austin took a picture of me with a view of KL in the background.  He told me either I could show up and not the city, or I could be darker and you could see the city.  You already know what I look like.


As we left the caves, we saw this sign for fresh coconuts.  I had to try it.  I remember drinking fresh coconut water when I was a child in Puerto Rico.  That is when the man would climb the tree, cut it down for you, and cut it open.  There was no tree climbing here.  :)


This guy cut the top of the coconut off with a machete.  I have to say, it made me nervous to see the blade coming so close to his fingers.



Um, I remember the fresh coconut water tasting better.  It was slightly salty.



The whole area included several shrines and temples.


I don't know the name of this guy.  I was a bit disappointed to have this man in the picture, but actually, it gives you great perspective on the size.

And why are we visiting Kuala Lumpur?  This will be our new home!!  We wanted to introduce Austin and Savannah to their new home and school.  I am sitting in the counselor's office right now, while Austin and Savannah take placement tests.  Just what they wanted to do on their spring break!  :)  Lots more on KL coming up!

1 comment: