Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Happy Birthday to Me! (Barr Al Jissah)

 This past Saturday was my birthday!  A good day to have a birthday, since the whole family was home.  First order of business, gourmet breakfast made by my husband.  Then I went on my computer.  This is what I saw-- all these cakes.  I thought, "I wonder whose birthday it is?"  I hovered my mouse over the cake, and look really close at what I saw.
 
 
Happy Birthday, Wanda!!  Austin set up my Google page to wish me Happy Birthday.  I thought that was so cool!
 
 
What next?  I wanted to go to the beach!  Shangri-La's Barr Al Jissah Resort offers day passes.  For 25 OR, or $65, you can spend the day at the resort.  You have access to the pools and beach.  That also includes a lunch buffet at Al Tanoor, a $50 value by itself.  Off we went!
 
 
I thought the pass was very interesting.  A Day in Paradise.  Actually, I couldn't argue with that.  I didn't even realize that the pass includes a discount at the spa.  Something to remember for next time.  The day passes are not available all the time.  I just called the resort to check on the availability of the passes, and I was told that they are available at the moment, but he didn't know for how long.  I suspect that they may not be available when the high season kicks in.  You can call +968 2477 6666 and find out if you are interested.  Definitely worth it for a special occasion!
 
 
The Beach
 
 
 
We spent a wonderful couple of hours at the beach and then headed to Al Tanoor for the buffet lunch.  I have written about this place before.  We have brought lots of visitors here.  A great buffet of international cuisine.  Here are platters of shrimp and crab claws.
 
 
I did not see the name of this dish, but the chafing dish held grilled lamb.  You put it in naan, and these are all the toppings you can put on it.  I liken it to a taco bar.  :) I had Indian food and Omani chicken.  The Omani chicken was my favorite.  It reminded me of Chicken Fricassee, a dish my mom often made.
 
 
 
The dessert bar!  While we were eating lunch, Savannah said, "I feel like we are on vacation.  And we live here!"  I have to say, Oman is a good place to live.  :)
 
 
Looking down at the beautiful rug outside the restaurant.
 
 
You see?  I am not the only person who decorates with antique doors.  Now these are Omani style, unlike mine.  More rectangular, with shorter center doors. 
  
 
I loved this painting of old Muscat, along the Muttrah Corniche.
 
 
 
After lunch, we decided to lay out by the pool.  Less sand.  :)  It was a lovely day, not at all too hot.  Actually, as I hear of heat records in Chicago, Muscat is having a cooler September than normal.  While it is still a little warm for regular sightseeing (in my opinion), if you want to come visit Oman and lay on the beach, the weather is really nice!
 
  A picture of some of the property.  Can't center this picture.  :/
 
 
Savannah and Joe.  Austin had play practice. 

 
Here is the main lobby at the Al Bandar hotel.  Beautiful!  This is where you purchase your day passes.
 
 


That night, we went to the 360 restaurant in Muscat with friends.  Think Benihanas.  It was delicious!   I definitely recommend the restaurant.  Our chef made our rice and vegies into I love you! 
 
 Now you are probably wondering.  What did Wanda get for her birthday?  You will never guess.  I promise.  I got a ------- camel saddle!  If you saw my last blog post on the 'Salalah Traffic Jam', you will know why I LOVE it!
 
 
 
  I think the perfect gift is something you want, that you wouldn't buy for yourself, and that is a surprise.  Joe really hit a home run with this gift!  :)  I had actually forgotten that I admired this camel saddle when we were door shopping.  But he didn't forget.  He went back to Muttrah Souk and brought it home!  Although my kids thought he was crazy.


 
                                          
                                         It looks pretty good with the doors, doesn't it?  :)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. What a cool Google page! How did he do this? Love the camel saddle! Yes perfect gift. Keep the blog up girl, we live vicariously through you and your travels. Glad you get to spend it with part of your family!

    ReplyDelete