Sunday, September 15, 2013

Royal Opera House Muscat

 I love living in Oman.  I really do.  But it is hard not to miss the US this time of year.  Nip in the air, the leaves starting to turn, and-- football!  The real kind, not soccer.  :)  It is a little surprising how much I miss football.  Oh well, what is a girl to do on a Saturday instead of watching football?  Go to the opera, of course!



Hubby wasn't as keen on the idea of opera, so I very quickly found five other friends willing and available.  Wendy, Debi, Ruthel, Mariangeles, Jennifer, and me.  Four Texans and two South Americans.
Saturday was actually my second time to attend the Royal Opera House Muscat.  The first time was back in March.  Joe and I saw a group of Bulgarian Folk Singers.  The real reason for that visit was to see the gorgeous opera house and to wear my brand new leopard print, rhinestone-encrusted shoes.  Which the nice stranger cut off!!! 
The Royal Opera House Muscat
I really had not taken enough pictures in March for a full blog post.  I always meant to go back.  Well, the ROHM just starting opening their doors every morning from 8:30-10:30.  There is no charge, but you can pay 2 OR for a guided tour.  That is what Debi and I chose to do.

Here I am with our Omani guide.  I wish I could tell you her name, but it contained some sounds foreign to the English language.  A note about her attire.  She is wearing an abayah, or robe, and a shelah, or head scarf.  This black clothing is not so much because she is Muslim, as much as because it is now the fashion to wear all black.  Traditionally, Omani women dressed much more colorfully.
  

I really like this picture with Debi and our guide, although the ladies are a bit fuzzy.  It is a great shot of the main lobby of the opera house.  All the wood is teak and comes from Burma.  But the carving was done by all Omani craftsmen.  The floors are Carrera marble.  
 
The opera house is a mixture of Islamic and Moroccan architecture.



I couldn't get over all the beautiful inlay in this foyer table.
Now for outside pictures.





Now back to our girls' night out.  We went in the restroom and saw this sign.  Now mind you, we are in an extremely posh building, not the mall or the airport.  Is this really a problem that warrants a sign??  And here is my question.  I had a heck of a time fitting a phone, small camera, lipstick, reading glasses, and tissues in my annoyingly small evening bag.  What in the world am I supposed to do with a hair dryer after I am done drying my hair???  Are there lockers for hair dryer storage?  I will have to ask.  :)


I believe this lovely Omani girl is wearing more traditional festive attire.  Psst, don't tell anybody, but I wore the same dress both times.  It is comfy.  But, I have different shoes on.  Black lace with black satin bows.  It's all about the shoes anyways, and a true friend makes sure to get the shoes in the picture!

So, what opera did we see?  The Barber of Seville.  Think Figaro, Figaro, Figaro!  This is the first opera I have ever attended, despite living close to Chicago for ten years.  The ROHM is one of the few to offer subtitles. Every seat had a small screen in front of it, with English and Arabic subtitles.  Since the opera was sung in Italian, the subtitles were most helpful!  It was an amusing opera, and very entertaining!  Just a quick note on what to wear to the opera house.  I would suggest between what you wear to a wedding to a cocktail dress.  You will see long dresses and more casual things, but you can't go wrong with a nice dress and high heels. 
There are several more operas on the schedule this season, as well as some ballets and lots of musical performances.  I say, dust off your rhinestone shoes and give the opera house a try!  I have a pair of shiny silver sling backs collecting dust.  Hmmmm. 












2 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing! Way to go soaking up all the culture while you are there...,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice! I only have one dress to wear to National Night, and in ten years, I won't be able to tell the photos from Spain from the photos in Muscat if I'm wearing the same dress. So I need some new rhinestone heels.

    ReplyDelete