Friday, January 24, 2014

Hong Kong!

I have had this blog post mostly ready to go for weeks.  Unfortunately, life sent a road block these last two weeks.  More on that later.  For now, back to Hong Kong.


Like I said in my last post, we stayed in the Shangri La- Kowloon.  I loved the rugs in the elevator.  I imagine there are people traveling to Hong Kong from all over the world, and from all time zones.  I am going to say, I found the rugs helpful!  By the way, Hong Kong is about 10 flying hours from Oman, and a four-hour time difference.


Hotel lobby


Here is the fruit plate in our room.  I never did find out what the middle fruit is.


Beautiful tea service in our room.


The view of Victoria Harbor from one of the hotel windows.


I have no idea what I did to my phone when I took this picture, but I liked it.


We loved walking along the harbor in the evening.  That is Hong Kong island in the across the harbor.





My favorite picture of the whole trip!  I plan on having this enlarged and framed.



This was a business meeting for Joe, so he was actually tied up most of the time.  A friend and I went walking around the neighborhoods in Kowloon.  I totally appreciated the reminders of where to look for coming cars.





Lots of wonderful antiques and art all around.


This is a jewelry store window!!!  Proudly displayed were these suckling pig necklaces!  How would you like to unwrap this gift?



Crispy ducks for sale.


I could have done a whole blog post on all the interesting foods for sale.  Hong Kong reminded me a lot of China Town in New York City.  :) Oh, one of the best lines I heard was when we were riding in a bus with a tour guide.  He pointed to a neighborhood and said that area was known as Caucasian Town!!  Lots of expats lived there.  I cracked up!


The Ladies market.  Yes, that was the name.


My favorite was the Jade market.  No surprise there.



So many beautiful things!


We had one tour arranged for the wives.  It was to Ngong Ping, to see the Tian Tan Buddha.  This large bronze statue was completed in 1993.  It is located near the Po Lin Monastery and symbolizes the harmonious relationship between man and nature, people and religion.


You get to the Buddha by taking a tram, on a 25-minute ride over water and mountains.


Ours had a glass bottom!




270 or so steps to the top.  Wow, I have climbed lots of steps to lots of tall places this year.



I have seen lots of incense burners in my time, but none this big.



Friday was our last day.  Great first trip to Hong Kong!

No comments:

Post a Comment